auth-nxdomain yes

Kevin Darcy kcd at daimlerchrysler.com
Wed Jun 16 02:20:48 UTC 2004

Ladislav Vobr wrote:

>when does this option help? does it help only in case somebody's bind is
>forwarding to my caching server?

I believe it affects all NXDOMAIN responses, not just NXDOMAIN responses
to recursive queries.

>Can altering this option decrease
>number of nxdomain normal cachings server gets.

My understanding is that this option only controls whether the AA bit is
set on NXDOMAIN responses or not. It shouldn't have any affect on
whether a response is NXDOMAIN or not.

>How does the client (not bind server) treats nxdomain with and without
>aa bit?

If the client is using the gethostbyname() interface, or something like
it, then it shouldn't make any difference, since the flag values are not
accessible through that interface. If an app running on the client is
using the resolver library directly, then it might care whether AA is
set or not; that would depend on how the application is written...

-Kevin