finding out more about reverse DNS and fixing it?

Barry Margolin barmar at alum.mit.edu
Wed Jun 16 21:03:08 UTC 2004

In article <caqbhg$bbr$1 at sf1.isc.org>, deja at celticbear.com (LRW) wrote:

> Can someone point me to something that explains what a no reverse DNS
> error indicates and how to take care of it?

Reverse DNS is used to translate IP addresses back to names, by using
the IN-ADDR.ARPA DNS hierarchy.  To get the name associated with address
1.2.3.4, you look up the PTR record of 4.3.2.1.in-addr.arpa.  Also, this
will often be followed by a lookup of the name that resulted, to verify
that it resolves to the original address, as a way of preventing being
fooled by faked reverse DNS.

If you tell us the address of your mail server, we can check to see if
there's any problem with its reverse DNS.

Barry Margolin, barmar at alum.mit.edu
Arlington, MA