bind vs. MS DNS

Joel jc517 at wmi.com
Thu Jun 17 16:15:20 UTC 2004

Barry Finkel wrote:

> In my setup I want each DC to register its SRV records dynamically in
> my MS W2k+3 DNS Server, but I do NOT want the DCs to do DDNS
> self-registration, which I do not allow on my BIND servers.  If I
> disable self-registration, then I disable SRV DDNS at the same time.
>
> We have an open trouble ticket with MS on a related issue (EventID
> 40961), and I will suggest to MS that they decouple self-registration
> and registration of SRV records.

I'd probably need to reboot to my servers to verify this but according
to my notes I did this.

set
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\Netlogon\Parameters\
        RegisterDnsARecords  to 0

set
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\Tcpip\Parameters\
        DisableReverseAddressRegistrations  to 0

I get updates for the SRV records but none for the A and PTR records. If
I do
get these updates they happen under the cover of darkness when the
lights
are off and ethereal isn't watching.

- Joel