Filtering MX traffic trough BIND - any experiences?

Joaquin J. Domens jdomens at corp.terra.es
Fri Jun 18 10:47:58 UTC 2004

Hi all,

We're trying to set up a "filtering system" for our mail platform, in order
to manage black/white lists, spam, etc.

It's based on a plug-in that generate a zone with the valid ip's for the
mail server to redirect the mail ...so there will vbe a stand alone BIND
server with this zone locally configured so it doesn't need to go outside
for queries ...

This zone file should contain about millions of entries (maybe 3-4 millions)
and it's about 60-80 megas,

My questions about this are:

 will BIND manage it smoothly ?

I would like to know if there's any kind of restriction in BIND about that
issue and if the zone transfer should be possible with that "big file"

Is there anybody working with something like this ? if so, what are your
comments about that ?

Any help-comment will be apreciated.

Thanks in advance.
Joaquin