BIND pauses on loading large zones

Danny Mayer mayer at gis.net
Fri Jun 18 21:10:00 UTC 2004

At 08:02 PM 6/15/2004, Vinny Abello wrote:
>Hello all,
>
>I've heard of this issue before and remember a discussion but no resolution.
>
>I have a zone that is approximately 35MB in size.

I assume that you are talking about RBL.

>  When I add it to the
>named.conf file and do an rndc reconfig, the server stops answering queries
>for probably around 10 seconds or more while it's loading that zone. Also,
>if I modify it and do an rndc reload zonename the same thing happens.
>
>I heard that this is because there is only one worker thread by default if
>BIND can't detect more than one CPU. I have 4 CPU's in a system
>(technically 2 with hyperthreading) and it doesn't appear to detect them.

You can look in the event viewer to find out how many it thinks it has.
It's the
second message right after it gives the BIND version number.

>haven't tried running it in the foreground to see how many CPU's... but I
>did try changing the startup option to include -n 4 and also tried -n4 as
>well but it didn't make a difference, and the OS didn't indicate any more
>threads were created than without that setting.

Where are you doing that? Did you add that in the Registry to the Service
as part of the program name? Currenlty that's the only way to do it.

>This is on Windows Server 2003 with BIND 9.2.4rc4.

I haven't run W2K3.

>Any takers? :)

Danny