Issue with Forwarding(URGENT!!!)

Joseph S D Yao jsdy at center.osis.gov
Tue Jun 22 14:08:57 UTC 2004

On Tue, Jun 22, 2004 at 12:21:45AM -0600, Sanjib Sanjib wrote:
> Hi ,
>
> I have some problem in forwarding feature of bind 9.2 based DNS server.
> The configuration  done in my DNS server , which is BIND 9.2 is
> mentioned below
>
> options{
>
> recursion true;
> allow-recursion {any;};
> forward first;
> forwarders {x.x.x.x; y.y.y.y;};
> }
>
> Details of server version in the forwarder list:
> x.x.x.x is Solaris (Bind 8.2) and y.y.y.y is( BIND 9.2) server.
>
> The problem is in query forwarding for some off site records . When
> ever you try to query any record which is not present in the
> authoritative data of my DNS server , it forwards to the DNS server in
> the forwarder list mentioned above. Now my problem is , whenever my 1st
> server(i.e. BIND 8.2) not able to respond the query for whatever reason
> , queries are not getting forwarded to the other server in the list .But
> if I reverse list in forwarder option is works fine for me. Is there any
> compatibility issue here???
> I just want to know how exactly it works in BIND 9.2 ? It works in
> round robin manner or from left to right ??
> Can any body suggest me , where is the problem ??? I am interested to
> know the implementation logic of forwarding in BIND 9.2. source code.
> Since it's very urgent , I will appreciate your early response.
> Thanks in advance,
> Sanjib

Lists almost always mean to select ONE and ask it.  In fact, unless a
server completely fails to respond, I can't think of ANY lists in BIND
where servers are queried serially until you find the answer you like.

Remember, that a "no answer available" answer is a valid answer.
Especially for a non-existent domain name.  Your server is forwarding
the query to the closest name server that is alive, and returning its
answer.  This is the correct operation for your configuration.

--
Joe Yao				jsdy at center.osis.gov - Joseph S. D. Yao
OSIS Center Systems Support					EMT-B