/etc/resolv.conf

Kevin Darcy kcd at daimlerchrysler.com
Wed Jun 23 00:01:13 UTC 2004

Joseph S D Yao wrote:

>On Tue, Jun 22, 2004 at 01:30:34AM -0500, Matt wrote:
>

>>If you want your Linux box to act as a caching DNS server using root servers
>>do you leave /etc/resolv.conf blank or what?
>>
>>Matt
>>

>/etc/resolv.conf has NOTHING to do with the server portion of BIND,
>only with the resolver portion.  It points the resolver portion,

You mean "stub resolver", right? named has a built-in "resolver" too...

>for
>programs running on that box, to some name server or another.  If it's
>blank, none of the programs running on the system will be able to
>resolve any host names or IP addresses.

Actually, on many platforms, an empty or missing /etc/resolv.conf causes
the stub resolver to default to using 0.0.0.0 or 127.0.0.1.

>A purely caching name server very simply has no zones [except root].

Well, it "has" the root zone only in the sense that it knows where the
root servers are from the results of its priming query, just as it
learns and knows referral information from subsequent queries.
Personally, I wouldn't refer to that as "having" the zone, which I would
reserve for describing authoritativeness. Also, I'm not sure what
relevance your statement has to the original poster's question.

- Kevin
P.S. Having a bad day, Joe?