Need some help with a BIND server

Jason jwilliams at courtesymortgage.com
Wed Jun 23 22:50:57 UTC 2004

Hello everyone.

I'm running a pretty simple BIND 9.2 server here for our company and a
odd thing has happened here in the past hour. However, as I write this,
the problem seems to have been resolved, but I would like to know what
is going on.

Some background info:

Running on FreeBSD 4.9
Running as a caching name server, getting info from our ISP's name server.

What I noticed is that it all of the sudden, it is as if the cache is
goen and it is taking a very long time to do queries now. This is not
good because it is slowing down email as well as web surfing.

I am no expert at BIND right now, but im working on it.

I am not exactly sure what happened today, but i'm trying to figure out
what is going on so I can correct it and stop it from happening in the
future.

I thought I would post the contents of my named.conf file here. I can
also post additional information as needed and requested.

named.conf:

options {
         directory "/etc/namedb";

         forwarders {
                 216.98.128.70;
                 216.98.138.70;
         };
};

zone "." {
         type hint;
         file "named.root";
};

zone "0.0.127.IN-ADDR.ARPA" {
         type master;
         file "localhost.rev";
};

// RFC 3152
zone
"1.0.0.0.0.0.0.0.0.0.0.0.0.0.0.0.0.0.0.0.0.0.0.0.0.0.0.0.0.0.0.0.IP6.ARPA" {
         type master;
         file "localhost-v6.rev";
};

// RFC 1886 -- deprecated
zone
"1.0.0.0.0.0.0.0.0.0.0.0.0.0.0.0.0.0.0.0.0.0.0.0.0.0.0.0.0.0.0.0.IP6.INT" {
         type master;
         file "localhost-v6.rev";

Below, I have my private internal web servers as well as domains I have
'black holed'.

When I did some digging on web sites, it would delay for a bit (2-5
seconds) then come back witht he result. One time, it couldn't connect
to the server, even though named was running.

I'd like to take some further measures to help me out with this, so any
suggestions are welcome.

I appreciate the help and look forward to responses.

Jason