BIND 9 AAAA record problems

Sam Wilson Sam.Wilson at ed.ac.uk
Thu Jun 24 11:07:00 UTC 2004

In article <cbe3u8$22np$1 at sf1.isc.org>, Jim Reid <jim at rfc1035.com>
wrote:

>     >> As for the two servers being on different networks, maybe that
>     >> will happen when it needs to.  For the moment, all of my hosts
>     >> (mail, www, dns, etc.) are on the same network, so if DNS goes
>     >> out then probably *all* of my stuff is out, so it doesn't
>     >> matter IMHO.
>
> It matters. And it matters now. Consider what will happen to the rest
> of the internet, and more importantly your customers, if this net of
> yours break. You really should read RFC2182. ...

And one particular thing that Jim's extract doesn't say explicitly is
to do with mail delivery.  If your MX records are accessible even
though your mail server is down then mail to you should get queued and
delivered later.  If your MX records are inaccessible then you may end
up with mail getting returned almost immediately because your domain
appears not to exist.  The exact result depends on the behaviour of
your correspondents' mail systems.

Sam