BIS, TER and TCR

Don Stokes don at news.daedalus.co.nz
Fri Jun 25 08:28:35 UTC 2004

In article <cbb7jt$1ebr$1 at sf1.isc.org>,
Benzi Mizrahi  <vsbenzi at weizmann.ac.il> wrote:
>  what is the meaning of these strings when they appended to
>  DNSSEC , I've seen this in namedropper archives.

Bis, ter, quater etc are Latin for "two times", "three times", "four
times", etc, and was traditionally used for CCITT standards, e.g V.22,
V.22 bis.  DNSSEC-bis is the version of DNSSEC that is nearly ready (to
replace the first attempt defined in RFC 2535), and -ter for an as yet
undefined specification or refinement of DNSSEC to solve problems with
-bis.

TCR stands for Type Code Rollover, and refers to adding a partial or
complete new set of record types, so that there is no conflict between
different versions of DNSSEC.

These aren't "official" names in the way V.22bis is; they're just
conventions to refer to the DNSSEC that was, the DNSSEC that is (well,
Real Soon Now) and the DNSSEC that may yet be.

-- don