Sporadic resolution problems

Ronan Flood ronan at noc.ulcc.ac.uk
Fri Jun 25 11:21:32 UTC 2004

Matthew Hoskison <mhoskison at yahoo.com> wrote:

> There seems to be no rhyme or reason as to who gets successful resolutions and
> who gets failures, other than the subjective observation that the majority of
> the reports (aka complaints) of failure are from US clients.

Might depend on the nameserver/resolver software/version they're using.

> Amongst those domains I know to be experiencing problems are room41.net,
> babysfirstsite.org and ill-behaviour.com. I'm at a loss as to where to look
> next. I throw myself upon your collective wisdom!

One thing I've seen mentioned as potentially causing problems is having
different TTLs for your NS/A records in your zones and in the parent
zones.  For example, in the .net zone, you have

  room41.net. 172800 IN NS ns1.room41.com.

whereas in the room41.net. zone you have

  room41.net. 10800 IN NS ns1.room41.com.

and so on.  So you could change the TTLs on the NS records in your
zones for room41.net, ill-behaviour.com and room41.com to 172800,
change the TTLs on the A records for ns1.room41.com and ns2.room41.com
in the room41.com zone to 172800, and change the TTLs on the NS records
in your zone for babysfirstsite.org to 86400 (matching the .org parent).
Worth a shot?

--
                      Ronan Flood <R.Flood at noc.ulcc.ac.uk>
                        working for but not speaking for