Bind DNS Question

Lucas, David David.Lucas at unh.edu
Mon Jun 28 14:49:53 UTC 2004

Hello Everyone,

I was wondering if any Bind experts can help me out with this one.  I'm
working on our campus network registration system and would like to
accomplish the following:

1. A computer when they are in the Unknown state they will get a "Bogus" DNS
server.  That DNS server thinks it's the root server for everything.  So
when a user types www.cnn.com they resolve to a webpage that we specify.
(This is working today)

2. I want a user to be able to get to windowsupdate.microsoft.com from our
private addresses that are assigned when a computer is in the unknown state.
Now, I have half this working.  I have a proxy server that is restricting
access to only Microsoft.  When I bring everything onto the same DNS server
it does not work.  Basically for the proxy server to work correctly I need
to have the public addresses resolved via DNS.  I only want public addresses
to be handed out for domains that I specify.

This is what I have tried:

- I have tried to set a forward for zone microsoft.com, well it forwards all
requests to the public DNS servers, which in turn gives me public addresses
for everything.  I don't want this I only want Microsoft's public addresses.
- I've tried to specify a NS record for Microsoft and that to didn't work,
actually it killed everything for resolving the names.

I was hoping that someone can point me in the direction to get this working.

Thanks!!!