Determining which domains reference a particular nameserver

Barry Margolin barmar at alum.mit.edu
Tue Jun 29 01:47:50 UTC 2004

In article <cbqb0d$2kea$1 at sf1.isc.org>,
 "Dennis Julien" <dennis.julien at cloakware.com> wrote:

> In "never-ending saga" news, Network Solutions seems to be holding a glue
> (or other) NS record referencing one of our A-record servers.  To make
> things worse, they reference it with an incorrect IP.  This problem
> manifests itself in GTLD servers giving out an incorrect IP address when the
> host name is used unless a lookup from the local zone file is performed
> (i.e, not often).
>
> Is there any clever way to determine which domains (regardless of TLD)
> utilize a particular nameserver?  NetSol insists that nothing is attached to
> the hostname, but they're obviously mistaken.  I'm extremely tired of
> hearing "wait 45-90 days for the cache to flush".
>
> Any help would be sincerely appreciated.

In the old days when there was just one registrar, you could do

whois host <hostname>

to get the NIC handle for the host, and then

whois server <handle>

to see a list of all the domains that list the host as a server.
However, the latter feature no longer seems to exist.

I suggest you contact your domain registrar, and ask them if they can
find out where the host record came from, and get it removed.

P.S. What does this have to do with BIND?  There's a generic DNS-related
newsgroup, comp.protocols.tcp-ip.domains.

Barry Margolin, barmar at alum.mit.edu
Arlington, MA