Inet Domain Name, Help?

Joe Hamelin nethead at gmail.com
Tue Jun 29 22:34:19 UTC 2004

On Tue, 29 Jun 2004 20:49:42 GMT, Ron Reaugh
<ron-reaugh at worldnet.att.net> wrote:
> What exactly is a registerable Internet domain name and how does that relate
> to subdomains?  For instance if one owns or is renting  xyzabc.com then
> what exactly is jkl.xyzabc.com?  I understand that the jkl is known as a
> subdomain.  But is the complete entity jkl.xyzabc.com something that is
> independently registerable from xzyabc.com?

No, except for special cases like something.city.st.us.  Which one
would advised to just not bother with anymore.

OR if one owns xyzabc.com then
> does one own automatically all subdomains off xyzabc.com in Internet domain
> name space?

In general, yes.

 I guess the question boils down to whether '.' is a special and
> non-registerable character below the TLD level and therefore the
> registerable domain name is that entity in the right most portion of the
> name including one and only one
> '.' which preceeds a valid TLD?

Er, huh?  If you have example.com then you can make
any.domain.example.com you want.

--
Joe Hamelin
Edmonds, WA, US