windows server not connecting to BIND 9 server

Kevin Darcy kcd at daimlerchrysler.com
Wed Jun 30 00:07:29 UTC 2004

xippy dapinhead wrote:

>Hi:
>
>I've got a local subnet (192.16.1.x) that's NAT'd behind a firewall.
>
>I've got a BIND 9.2.3 server running on RH9...it's on 192.168.1.200
>
>I've got a Win2K server on 192.168.1.202
>
>The NS is accessible to the outside world. I've set up two views, one
>for the 192.x.x.x machines and one for the outside world.
>
>When I query the NS from another box on the subnet, it correctly
>resolves the local IPs for various domains.
>
>The Win2K server, however, can't seem to get through to the NS. If I
>set the local NS in the TCP/IP properties and do an nslookup, I get no
>response...the request times out.
>
>If I switch the NS to some public servers outside my subnet, the Win2K
>server connects fine.
>
>Any reason why it won't connect when the NS is set to a 192.x.x.x
>address?

Do you have reverse DNS set up for 168.192.in-addr.arpa? nslookup (piece
of crap that it is) insists on being able to do a reverse-lookup of the
nameserver's address before it will actually look up what you asked it to.

"dig" is a better DNS lookup tool, which, among other things, skips this
extraneous lookup.