Unknown Sendmail / DNS Errors

David Botham DBotham at OptimusSolutions.com
Mon Mar 1 18:42:29 UTC 2004

bind-users-bounce at isc.org wrote on 02/28/2004 05:01:35 PM:
> Hello to both groups, i wasnt'sure which one of these groups this
> might pertain to so I'm cross posting it.
>
> Here is some basic information:
> Domain in question: gamerate.net
> nameservers: ns.webstakeshosting.com, ns2.webstakeshosting.com
> OS: Cobalt Linux ( on Cobalt RaQ3i ), so basically Redhat 6.2
> Bind version: 8.2.3
> Sendmail Version: ESMTP Sendmail 8.9.3/8.9.3
>
> zone records apparently are all set up correctly ( i've done plenty
> and never this problem ).
>
> when i try to email for example ghartl at gamerate.net i get the
> following error

> <ghartl at gamerate.net>

> 550 <ghartl at gamerate.net>... Host unknown (Name server: games: host
> not found)
>
> i also get this error when i try to sendmail locally using sendmmail
> -v ghartl at gamerate.net

It looks like the system having this problem has a serious DNS resolution
problem.  I wish I could add more, but, if I was you I would be trying to
find out why your sendmail server can't get the MX RR and associated A RR
for gamerate.net.

If you can get to a shell, try this:

$dig mx gamerate.net

and see what you get.