Getting started with BIND

Jason jwilliams at courtesymortgage.com
Tue Mar 2 19:56:11 UTC 2004

Thought i'd follow up here. Did a bit of reading in the DNS and BIND book.

For now, I was testing using the default install of BIND on FreeBSD 4.9.
Figured I will eventually upgrade to BIND 9.2 but better to play with
BIND first, instead of trying to learn two different things at once.

Anyway, I set up BIND as a caching name server, tested it and it works
great. No problems. No I wanted to setup some zone records.
Specifically, ones for private use.

I added the following to my named.conf at the bottom:

/*
zone "internal.acme.com" {
   type master;
   file "internal.acme.com.db";
};
*/

I then created the file listed above in /etc/named

internal.acme.com.   IN   SOA   internal.acme.com.
root.scarydaemons.acme.com.
                                         2004031027      ; Serial
                                         10800           ; Refresh
                                         3600            ; Retry
                                         604800          ; Expire
                                         86400 )         ; Minimum TTL

internal.acme.com.    IN   NS   scarydaemons.acme.com.

localhost.                               IN   A   127.0.0.1
scarydaemons.acme.com.       IN   A   192.168.1.92
loanblade.internal.acme.com. IN   A   192.168.1.207

I should mention that im only running one DNS server on our LAN at this
time. Scarydaemons is the name of it at right now.

The trick now is getting the hosts to resolve correctly.

I can't seem to do nslookup on the IP addresses for scarydaemons and
loanblade. Comes back with the following:

scarydaemons# nslookup 192.168.1.207
Server:  localhost.acme.com
Address:  127.0.0.1

*** localhost.acme.com can't find 192.168.1.207: Non-existent host/domain

I figure im missing something small, but cant seem to figure it out.

I apologize for my infancy with BIND. I think once I figure this part
out, everything should be easier after that.

I appreciate the help.

Jason