Negative caching config

Barry Margolin barmar at alum.mit.edu
Wed Mar 3 18:03:52 UTC 2004

In article <c24arr$2804$1 at sf1.isc.org>,
 J Marquez <sunsol19712003 at yahoo.es> wrote:

> We are pretty new by configuring DNS. We would like to activate "negative
> cache" in our Cache DNS's. We have searched the archives to look for a
> specific procedure, but haven't found anyone (sorry, if this question is

All BIND 8 or 9 releases from the last 5 years implement negative
caching by default; you don't have to do anything to enable it.

> alredy solved in one of them). We think we have to add
> "max-ncache-ttl <time_to_live_of_caching>
> in named.conf but not sure if its necessary additional steps or it does
> matter the position of this line inside named.conf

"max-ncache-ttl" just allows you to set a cap on the negative cache
time.  It's not normally needed.

> Also for a cache DNS, what would be the ideal TTL for Negative Cache?

That's not controlled on the caching DNS, it's set in the SOA records of
the domains.

Barry Margolin, barmar at alum.mit.edu
Arlington, MA