Extended DNS (EDNSo) and Standard DNS

phn at icke-reklam.ipsec.nu phn at icke-reklam.ipsec.nu
Wed Mar 3 19:38:25 UTC 2004

Jo <syneco at excite.com> wrote:
> Guys

> In which situation a DNS server will send an Extended DNS (EDNS0)
> queries to another DNS server?
"Always" :-)    That is modern bind tries EDNS0 first, and if the
answer is "not implemented" a new try is done without.

>  I had a problem yesterday where an Alteon switch which is acting like
> DNS server for A records, rejected all the DNS queries, if the DNS
> query was EDNS0 with additional records.

It's broken. Complain at your vendor.  As a workaround try :
server ip_addr { edns yes_or_no ; };

( from section 6.2.15 in the Arm book :
"http://www.ipsec.nu/dns/bind9/Bv9ARM.ch06.html#server_statement_grammar" )

--