Does a primary nameserver reload its configuration?

Chris chris at nospam.nl
Thu Mar 4 20:27:47 UTC 2004

Hi,

Sara wrote:

> Dear all,
>
> I was wondering if a primary master BIND DNS server reload
> automatically its configuration. So, are all the timer specifies in
> the SOA related only to slave-to-master replication process? Or does
> any of them force a primary master to reload its configuration to load
> new zones in case they have been added?

a primary master name server won't reload it's configuration file
automatically so every change you made to your configuration file or zone
data you have to reload the data into the name server. the SOA values are
only related from master --> slave.

> I am asking this because I am
> evaluating the impacts deriving from a possible disk failure on which
> the BIND configuration file are stored. Hence, should a primary master
> nameserver correctly start up, will it continue to run smoothly even
> if the disk on which its configuration files reside are lost?
> Thank you for any suggestion.

if you start the name server and for example delete the configuration files
the name server would continue to run because the configuration files are
only loaded when the name server is started.

> Sara

Chris