Inability to run Bind on Cygwin

Danny Mayer mayer at gis.net
Fri Mar 5 17:42:51 UTC 2004

At 05:00 PM 03/04/2004, Bryan Zimmer wrote:
>Hello friends,
>Until now, I have understood, perhaps incorrectly, that BIND would run
>under Windows. I took this to mean the Cygwin environment.

No, it means what it says. BIND runs under windows. Cygwin has
nothing to do with it.

>I have now found out by arduous attempt, that neither bind-9.2.3, nor any
>earlier version (I specifically tried 8.4.3 and 8.4.4).

Attempt to do what?

>It is possible that I misread the compilation instructions for version 8;
>they are quite different from bind-9. Yet, compilation was simply a
>disaster, repeated a number of times.

I believe that there are separate compile instructions for Cygwin
in BIND 8 than using the standard Windows VC compiler.

I do not believe that there are any cygwin build/install instructions
in BIND 9. I did receive mail from someone that they were able to
build BIND 9 under Cygwin except for the ntservices.c code in named
because it had some assembler in it. That should get fixed but it's
a separate issue.

>If anyone can correct me, or knows of a version that does in fact run
>under Cygwin (on Windows 2000), kindly let me know.

It runs under Windows. There are binary Windows kits available from
ISC.

Danny