Problem with reverse lookup in CIDR delegated domain [file details]

Kevin Darcy kcd at daimlerchrysler.com
Fri Mar 5 23:32:06 UTC 2004

Barry Margolin wrote:

>In article <c2b0hk$c7$1 at sf1.isc.org>,
> Kevin Darcy <kcd at daimlerchrysler.com> wrote:
>

>>Well, you're half right: there is exactly 1 PTR record in the zone, but
>>not where anyone would expect to find it (unless they were doing a
>>reverse lookup of an address with 5 octets, i.e. 67.116.182.184.186). So
>>I'm not sure what the point of this zone is...
>>

>The CNAME records in the parent zone should cause lookups to be
>redirected to this zone.  That's the point of RFC 2317.

Yes, I see those CNAMEs now. So this is a variant of RFC 2317 with the
container zone yet to be fully populated. I guess that would _work_, but
I still don't like the choice of container-zone name (the PTR records
look to me like reverse records for 5-octet addresses). But then, I've
never really cared for the conventions in RFC 2317's examples either. If
I had to do "classless delegation" (fortunately all of our external
networks are /24 or bigger), I'd probably delegate container zones
somewhere under my forward zones...