Prioritizing among MX records

Jan Kozánek jkozanek at totalservice.cz
Mon Mar 8 08:55:16 UTC 2004

Hello,

I'd like to ask if anyone knows whether numbers in MX records are just
positional values or real priority numbers.

Let's say we have an example like this:

bogus.com.    IN    MX    10    primary.bogus.com.
bogus.com.    IN    MX    60    backup.bogus.com.
bogus.com.    IN    MX    65    last-hope.bogus.com.

Does it mean anything else than that under any circumstances, if mail
relay will fail with primary.bogus.com, relaying will be tried to
backup.bogus.com IMMEDIATELY and if that fails, it will be IMMEDIATELY
tried to last-hope.bogus.com?

Is number of delivery retries to each of the mail servers dependent
solely on the sending SMTP server's software?

Reason for my question is that some time ago I found a material quoting
that the priority number in a way affects also the number of failed
retries a relaying SMTP will try with each mailserver, before falling
back to the one with lower (higher number) priority. And, to my
surprise, while testing, I discovered corelating speed-ups/speed-downs,
which could justify the above statement.

Thanks for clarification,
Regards

--
S pozdravem/Best Regards,