Prioritizing among MX records

Barry Margolin barmar at alum.mit.edu
Mon Mar 8 21:16:09 UTC 2004

In article <c2i7rv$le4$1 at sf1.isc.org>, phn at icke-reklam.ipsec.nu wrote:

> Under normal circumstances *some* mail will be delivered=20
> to "higer-MX" due to various sources ( network disturbances etc),
> the amount seems to depend on the "diversity" of the mailhosts.

This should be very rare -- a network disturbance has to be pretty
severe for a connection attempt to fail completely.

> I have observed in one organisation that has MX both in Europe
> and US that US senders seems to prefer the US mailhost in spite
> of "higer-mx".

Are you sure they don't have geographically disperse DNS servers that
give out different MX records, i.e. the DNS server in US has lower MX
preferences on the US servers?

Barry Margolin, barmar at alum.mit.edu
Arlington, MA