Big problem "dns timeout"

phn at icke-reklam.ipsec.nu phn at icke-reklam.ipsec.nu
Mon Mar 8 22:05:57 UTC 2004

arnaud <nospam at nospam.nul> wrote:
> phn at icke-reklam.ipsec.nu wrote:

>> arnaud <nospam at nospam.nul> wrote:
>>
>>>Hello,
>>

>>>First, sorry for my poor english.
>>

>>>-bind.9.2.3
>>

>>>I tried to check my dns configuration of my public domain name.
>>
>> I assume it's "ad-lx.net" ?
>>

>>>This site, http://www.afnic.fr/outils/zonecheck, give me a lot of
>>>dns timeout. So i don't understand why.
>>

>> You have "forwarders" defined. You probably don't need them and they will
>> interfere with your "external" view.
>>

>> In addition gateway.ad-lx.net (82.224.132.15) seems lame

> What does it means "lame" ? can you explicit and how did i resolve it ?

A "lame" nameserver is one that has been delegated a zone but
does not serve the zone ( is not authorative for it). In
it's most common form, lacking a proper "zone" entry in it's
configuration file.

At the moment i answered your message "gateway.ad-lx.net" did
not answer questions about "ad-lx.net" with the "aa"bit set.

Right now it does:
> dig ad-lx.net ns @gateway.ad-lx.net.

; <<>> DiG 8.3 <<>> ad-lx.net ns @gateway.ad-lx.net.
; (1 server found)
;; got answer:
;; flags: qr aa rd; QUERY: 1, ANSWER: 2, AUTHORITY: 0, ADDITIONAL: 1
;; QUERY SECTION:
;;      ad-lx.net, type = NS, class = IN

;; ANSWER SECTION:
ad-lx.net.              1W IN NS        ns6.gandi.net.
ad-lx.net.              1W IN NS        gateway.ad-lx.net.

;; ADDITIONAL SECTION:
gateway.ad-lx.net.      1W IN A         82.224.132.15

note the "aa" flag in the flag field above.

--
Peter Håkanson