Need some help with a BIND/network setup

Jason jwilliams at courtesymortgage.com
Tue Mar 9 21:40:39 UTC 2004

Hello everyone.

I'm having a little trouble with a sendmail and DNS setup. I was hoping
to get some help here.

Currently, I setup a sendmail server on our company network that is
strictly going to act as our outgoing mail server for our users. The box
is FreeBSD 4.9, running Sendmail 8.12.9 (patched). In addition to this
box running sendmail, I also setup BIND 9, with the intentions of
setting up private name server for our company, so users can access our
web servers via hostname, instead of IP address. I also wanted to setup
the BIND server to act as a caching name server for our LAN as well.

With that in mind, let me also add the following:

Currently, our ISP has control of our domain name. We have the option of
using our ISP's DNS servers as well as their SMTP server. We are
gradually going away from this.

I setup BIND9, and added a private zone for our company:
internal.mydomain.com. (mydomain is not our real domain)

Here is what it contains:

$TTL 86400
@               IN    SOA       mail.internal.mydomain.com.
root.mail.internal.mydomain.com. (
                         2004030300      ; serial
                         8H              ; refresh
                         2H              ; retry
                         1W              ; expire
                         1D )            ; minimum

@               IN   NS         mail.internal.mydomain.com.

localhost       IN   A          127.0.0.1
mail            IN   A          192.168.1.165
loanblade       IN   A          192.168.1.207

;
;aliases
;
rack2           IN   A          192.168.1.207

mail.internal.mydomain.com is the server acting as the BIND server as
well as the SMTP server for our users.

However, the problem im having is that I think I setup this up
incorrectly, as I think the server is trying to act as the authoratitive
for mydomain, which is not what I wanted. I wanted to setup a private
DNS server, internal.mydomain.com and also use the server as caching
server for my clients.

Here is what happens when I do a dig mx mydomain.com

mail# dig mx mydomain.com

; <<>> DiG 9.2.3 <<>> mx mydomain.com
;; global options:  printcmd
;; Got answer:
;; flags: qr rd ra; QUERY: 1, ANSWER: 1, AUTHORITY: 3, ADDITIONAL: 4

;; QUESTION SECTION:
;mydomain.com.          IN      MX

;; ANSWER SECTION:
mydomain.com.   31669   IN      MX      10 www.mydomain.com.

;; AUTHORITY SECTION:
mydomain.com.   13138   IN      NS      ns3.aspadmin.com.
mydomain.com.   13138   IN      NS      ns1.aspadmin.com.
mydomain.com.   13138   IN      NS      ns2.aspadmin.com.

;; ADDITIONAL SECTION:
www.mydomain.com. 31523 IN      A       209.126.xxx.xxx
ns1.aspadmin.com.       25270   IN      A       216.98.xxx.xxx
ns2.aspadmin.com.       25270   IN      A       216.98.xxx.xxx
ns3.aspadmin.com.       25270   IN      A       216.98.xxx.xxx

;; Query time: 1 msec
;; SERVER: 192.168.1.165#53(192.168.1.165)
;; WHEN: Tue Mar  9 13:39:54 2004
;; MSG SIZE  rcvd: 185

So you can see, my ISP is authoratative for mydomain.com.

However, the way it appears to be acting, my BIND server is trying to
act as the authoratative one. That appears to be the problem, but i'm
not sure how to fix this.

Also, one thing I noticed is that if I type 'hostname' on the machine,
it is missing the internal part. :( Instead, it just has,
mail.mydomain.com and im sure that has to be a problem.

I'm a little confused and not sure how to correct this problem. I'm
hoping someone can help me out here and tell me what I did wrong.

I appreciate the help.

Jason