failover.rev question

/dev/rob0 rob0 at gmx.co.uk
Thu Mar 11 00:33:04 UTC 2004

On Wednesday 10 March 2004 16:21, Mark Wasfy wrote:
> You'll have to excuse my ignorance,

HAVE to? You might WANT us to, but you can't require it. ;)

Oh wait, you're USAF. You CAN bomb us into submission. In that case,
sure, we forgive you. :)

> but while working with our
> named.conf.u file I came across a zone entry that referenced

named.conf.u? The default filename is "named.conf".

> zone "0.192.239.in-addr.arpa" {
> type master;
> file "failover.rev" };
>
> What's the significance of failover.rev?  Can someone shed some

It is the name of the zone file which contains the reverse DNS entries
for IP addresses in 239.192.0.0/24 netblock. FWIW, this is part of a
reserved network which is described in RFC 2365:
    6.2. The IPv4 Organization Local Scope -- 239.192.0.0/14
    or "not-spam" is in Subject: header