blocked by my ISP's smtp server

Barry Margolin barmar at alum.mit.edu
Fri Mar 12 05:49:23 UTC 2004

In article <c2qek1$16mm$1 at sf1.isc.org>, new <new at yakati.org> wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I post on this newsgroup because I think my problem is in relation with dns.
>
> I have an ADSL connection with a french provider (wanadoo) with dynamic IP
> and a network with a gateway with a e-smith server (SME 5.5) and I use a
> DNS cache for my network on this SME box. I have domain with dynds.org. All
> works fine, except a "little" problem.
>
> When I try to join the news.wanadoo.fr newsgroup server I can't join it,
> when I try to send a mail with smtp.wanadoo.fr I have a message :
>  <<<name at domain.tld>: Recipient address rejected: Relaying not allowed >>,
> when I send a mail with my qmail on the gateway no problem.

It sounds like it's not recognizing your IP address as one of its
customer addresses.

> I suppose the problem is my ISP see me like an "external user" when I try to
> connect to news or smtp.
> I tried to change de db file of named with :
> IN      MX      5 myserver.mydomain.dynds.org
> IN      MX      10 smtp.wanadoo.fr

MX records are used for incoming mail, they have nothing to do with
outgoing mail.

ISPs usually recognize their customers by IP address, not anything in
DNS.  I suggest you contact their technical support and find out why
they're not allowing you to use the NNTP or SMTP servers.

Barry Margolin, barmar at alum.mit.edu
Arlington, MA