bind9/8 setup

verzonnen verzonnen at hotmail.com
Fri Mar 12 18:53:04 UTC 2004

Hi all,

I tried setting up bind 9 but it is not getting the slave zones, however
using the same config using bind 8 it works fine

In both setups I have to have forwarders configured, otherwise I am not
able to get anything except the host that I have, I get something about
lame servers...

I have downloaded the latest named.root and ran named-checkconf (version
9.2.3) and that seemed to check out

So I have two questions;
1) Why do I seem to need forwarders?? (I would like to be able to turn
that of)

2) What do I need to add/remove/do in order to get bind 9 working?

TIA
------------------ my named.conf --------------------------------
acl "mynet" {
  192.168.0.0/24; localhost; // my subnet
};

options {
        directory "/etc/namedb";
        pid-file "/etc/namedb/run/named.pid";
        allow-recursion { mynet; }; Only allow my network to do recursion
        forwarders { 194.109.6.66; };
};

// standard root stuff
zone "." {
        type hint;
        file "named.root";
};

zone "mydomain.com" {
  type master;
  allow-query { any; };
  notify explicit;{  192.168.0.1; };  allow-transfer { 192.168.1.1; };
  file "/etc/namedb/db/mydomain.com";
};

zone "otherdomain.com" {
  type slave;