zone transfers sticking on one port?

Chris Fabri fabric at northwestern.edu
Mon Mar 15 19:48:15 UTC 2004

I'm seeing what I think is an odd behavior with named, and want to know if
this is in fact how things should work.

We had blocked port 39999 on our border to help deal with the Beagle
virus.  We found out eventually that this was causing slave transfers to
from our nameserver to an off-site secondary to fail with the "failure
trying master error...:timed out"

I actually did a sniff, and I could just see all these UDP requests going
on on 39999 and not getting answered.   Other ports were obviously going
through ok.

Why was named hanging up on this port?    Shouldn't it just brush this off
and try another port >1023?     This doesn't make any sense to me.   chris