DNS forwarding: does it actually work?

Joseph S D Yao jsdy at center.osis.gov
Thu Mar 18 21:22:19 UTC 2004

On Thu, Mar 18, 2004 at 12:40:42PM -0800, Robert Abbate wrote:
> from what I can tell, I have to update the named.conf
> file on the slave for every new host anyway...correct?

Absolutely not.  Only every new zone [domain and possibly subdomains].

> I am looking for a solution that could basically
> replicate the master name server (ns1) over to ns2
> which is a different machine. Any additions/changes
> done to ns1 replicate to ns2 automatically is ideal
> for me (and preferrably without having to manually
> update/change the named.conf file on the ns2 if
> possible).

Look in the archives.  I think 'rdist' was preferred by some.

> We have a webhosting company, and zones are created
> and update often. Currently, I have them as both
> masters and the configuration is manually copied to
> the ns2 once daily...I would like something LIVE
> updating (if Bind has that ability).

It's deliberately not in the standards which BIND embodies.

> When i did set up ns2 as a slave, the actual data said
> it was copied over, but it wasn't. The zones were
> empty on the slave.

Then you didn't set it up right.

zone "same.domain" {
	type slave;
	masters { masters.IP.addr.ess; };
	file "slave/same.domain";	// I use a slave subdir; must
					// be writable by the user
					// running 'named'.
};

with TCP [as well as UDP] port 53 access to the master and back.

> Besides, as a slave, doesn't it basically only forward
> requests to ns1 (master)? I want it only to forward
> requests to ns1 when ns1 is UP. If ns1 goes down, I
> need ns2 to give answers.

Where did ns2 come from?

Why don't you actually describe your setup, with real names and IP
addresses, so that folks can help you do what you want as a result, not
to make mistakes with wrong choices in the middle.  ;-)

--
Joe Yao				jsdy at center.osis.gov - Joseph S. D. Yao
OSIS Center Systems Support					EMT-B