Reverse DNS problems

ngaccess at hotpop.com ngaccess at hotpop.com
Fri Mar 19 17:38:42 UTC 2004

To:             	comp-protocols-dns-bind at isc.org
From:           	John Emery <nospam_john_nospam at suemills.com>
Subject:        	Re: Reverse DNS problems
Date sent:      	Thu, 18 Mar 2004 15:33:15 -0800

> Cheers,
>
> I'm not entirely sure I understand your hints completely, but they did
> lead me down the right path.  I think I've got the issue resolved.  The
> mail host I've been having trouble sending mail to due to this reverse
> DNS issue, is accepting mail from OUR mail host now.

Your reverse records should not have an 'alias'.

> I'm still battling with my ISP over whos responsibility it is to remove
> that defunct server from the reverse list.

There is no battle ... If you have authority for your domain server it is
YOUR responsibility. Don't see the problem though ... just remove the
entry from the reverse zone.

> What I don't understand is, how do I get network solutions to remove
> this host?  I know / understand how to administer a "normal" domain,
> i.e. suemills.com... I don't quite see from network solutions web site
> how to administer a reverse domain.

Networksolutions has to **remove** (unregister) a host just the same as
they **add** (register) a host. You do not administer a nameserver from
their site - you do it on YOUR site. Networksolutions (or any registrar)
simply supplies the record for a domain and points where to look for
further information. (your nameservers) Then your nameservers tell where
to look for website or mail (mx) or hosts, etc. (forward info) Your
nameserver also has to tell the **reverse** information for the zone(s).