RR behavior

Len Conrad LConrad at Go2France.com
Fri Mar 26 18:09:39 UTC 2004

>If an authoritative server is configured (and verified) to return a list of
>A records with fixed order:

the fixed order applies only to response from the auth server.

When your RR set is cached, the cacging server responds with its own RRset
ordering policy.

>I find that some DNS servers pass the list order through to the client stub
>resolver unchanged, while others re-order the list.

conclusion: your auth server policies don't/can't determine how its records
are handled by caching servers.

>s there any way to  influence this behavior from the authoritative server

there is nothing in the DNS protocol for the auth server to
express/transmit it policies to other servers.

Len