Priority on A registers

delanitaldia at netscape.net delanitaldia at netscape.net
Wed Mar 31 08:29:10 UTC 2004

Hi,

First of all, I have to say that I am really newby in Bind
administration, and take my apologies if this question is really
simple, but I have a problem:

A customer has asked me if it's possible to have a second web server
that only should respond in case the first web server crashes. I
thought that it could be resolved with a correctly configuration of
DNS, but I haven't found anything usefull.

I tried to define two A records for that domain

www   172800  IN      A       1.1.1.1
www   172800  IN      A       1.1.1.2

But that's the the tipical Round Robin and www.domain.net resolves
randomly to 1.1.1.1 or 1.1.1.2

But I think I don't need this type of configuration, I need something
like MX registers that you can configure a priority and in case that
the most priority server gets a timeout error, it tries to get the
other priority servers.

I am using bind 9.2.2. Do you know how can I solve this problem?

I supose that an script asking the web port of the first server and in
case of no response, automatically changes the zone file of that
domain to another and making a "rndc reload"  would solve the problem,
but I don't know if it's the best solution.

Thank's in advance,

--Gerard