Empty authority and additional sections in Dns answers

Jonathan de Boyne Pollard J.deBoynePollard at Tesco.NET
Mon Mar 22 04:14:38 UTC 2004

DB> As far as you know, is there the possibility to configure
DB> Bind [...] so that it will respond limiting the answer to
DB> Header, Questions and Answer, emptying the content of
DB> Authority and Additional sections?

JdeBP> That would be a daft thing to do, as it would change the
JdeBP> semantics of several kinds of response, including referrals,
JdeBP> and would remove important information from empty answers
JdeBP> and negative answers.

KD> It's not so daft. The "minimal-responses" BIND option was
KD> created for this kind of thing, and of course still *includes*
KD> Authority and/or Additional section information, where that
KD> information is required by the RFCs.

... which isn't the same as what he actually asked for, and thus isn't what I
was referring to as a daft thing to do.

KD> I more-or-less agree with you that it would be better for the
KD> original poster to step back and try to explain what it is
KD> that they are trying to accomplish.

I suspect that it was mere idle fiddling around.