Is this a DNS security hole?

Barry Margolin barmar at alum.mit.edu
Sat May 1 15:21:55 UTC 2004

In article <c6v4qq$1q2j$1 at sf1.isc.org>,
 Kevin Darcy <kcd at daimlerchrysler.com> wrote:

> The mycompany.com zone cannot contain a testing.victim.com A record. If
> the GUI says that, then it is lying.

That's not what he's doing.  He's registering testing.victim.com as a
nameserver host.  Registrars have to allow this so that glue records
will be put in the TLD zones.

In the old days of one registrar, this problem was prevented by only
allowing the owner of victim.com to register hostnames with that domain
suffix.  I don't know how it's supposed to be dealt with now -- if the
OP is correct, apparently it isn't.

Barry Margolin, barmar at alum.mit.edu
Arlington, MA