I can resolve local OR remote...

Matt mynews at neondsl.com
Sun May 2 16:52:09 UTC 2004

For some reason I can either resolve hosts for internal IPs OR external IPs,
depending on the nameservers in my resolv.conf file.  Sorry about the
length of the posting.  Here is what I have:

godaddy.com
-----------
Nameserver Summary: DNS1.kegwell.com, DNS2.kegwell.com
Domain Host Summary: DNS1.kegwell.com (my public IP), DNS2.kegwell.com (my
pulbic ip).

RH9
---

resolv.conf
-----------
domain kegwell.com
nameserver 127.0.0.1

The conf above will resolve internal IPs fine (same results if I use the IP
of the DNS server directly).  Although, I can not resolve anything
remotely, such as google.com, yahoo.com, etc.

If I change my resolv.conf to:
domain kegwell.com
nameserver (my public IP)

I can then resolve hosts such as google.com, yahoo.com, etc., but I can not
resolve any local IP's.  In addition, hosts off my internal network can not
resolve hosts from my DNS server.  I know it is not my firwall or router,
because I have gone as far as putting the DNS server in the DMZ and taking
down shorewall for a short time (testing purposes only).

In regards to my other zone files, I have pretty much followed the examples
from the book, DNS and BIND, to a T.

----------
db.127.0.0
----------
$TTL 3h
0.0.127.in-addr.arpa.   IN      SOA     dns1.kegwell.com.
admin.kegwell.com. (
                                        1       ; serial
                                        3h      ; refresh
                                        1h      ; retry
                                        1w      ; expire
                                        1h )    ; negative caching ttl

0.0.127.in-addr.arpa.   IN      NS      dns1.kegwell.com.
0.0.127.in-addr.arpa.   IN      NS      dns2.kegwell.com.

1.0.0.127.in-addr.arpa. IN      PTR     localhost.

--------------
db.192.168.x.x
--------------
$TTL 3h
x.168.192.in-addr.arpa. IN      SOA     dns1.kegwell.com.
admin.kegwell.com. (
                                        1       ; serial
                                        3h      ; refresh
                                        1h      ; retry
                                        1w      ; expire
                                        1h )    ; negative caching ttl

; name servers

x.168.192.in-addr.arpa. IN      NS      dns1.kegwell.com.
x.168.192.in-addr.arpa. IN      NS      dns2.kegwell.com.

; addresses point to canonical name

x.x.168.192.in-addr.arpa.     IN      PTR     x.kegwell.com.
x.x.168.192.in-addr.arpa.     IN      PTR     y.kegwell.com.
x.x.168.192.in-addr.arpa.     IN      PTR     dns1.kegwell.com.
x.x.168.192.in-addr.arpa.     IN      PTR     dns2.kegwell.com.

--------------
db.kegwell.com
--------------
$TTL 3h
kegwell.com.    IN      SOA     dns1.kegwell.com.       admin.kegwell.com. (
                                1       ; serial
                                3h      ; refresh
                                1h      ; retry
                                1w      ; expire
                                1h )    ; negative caching ttl

; Name Servers

kegwell.com.    IN      NS      dns1.kegwell.com.
kegwell.com.    IN      NS      dns2.kegwell.com.

; Addresses of canonical names

localhost.kegwell.com.  IN      A       127.0.0.1
x.kegwell.com.          IN      A       192.168.x.x
y.kegwell.com.          IN      A       192.168.x.x
dns1.kegwell.com.       IN      A       192.168.x.x
dns2.kegwell.com.       IN      A       192.168.x.x

Any suggestions on where I went wrong?  Any help would be greatly
appreciated.  Sorry for the length of the posting.

--Matt