BIND Upgrade

phn at icke-reklam.ipsec.nu phn at icke-reklam.ipsec.nu
Mon May 3 20:46:09 UTC 2004

Sara <demone33 at yahoo.it> wrote:
> I have BIND 9.2.1 running on my system (linux Redhat 7.3). I urgently
> need to upgrade to the latest version (9.2.4? BTW: what's the meaning
> of "candidate release"? Is it a synonyn of "stable release"? Is this
> terminology somewhere documented?)
> I did not use RPMs. I downloaded the tar.gz file from ISC site and
> compiled it.
> I do not remember the options I set (except for the prefix option).
> Can someone detail a procedure to seamlessly upgrade BIND in a
> production environment?

Read the READEM file ( and the files under doc/ ) they will
contain what you need.

You seem to succeeded in building however, the only issue
left is where to copy the binaries.

You have two options :

1/ overwrite the ones you have ( installed by redhat)

2/ place them somewhere else ( usr/local/[sbin|bin]

Both ways has advantages and disadvantages.

(1) , which i usually prefer, has the advantage that all startupscrips
will continue to work, disadvantage that any upograde might
overwrite the binaries. Keeping the compile-directory and
install script will be handy in that case.

(2) has the advantage that the old binaries is untouched, but
you have to edit startup scripts. Also in this case an upgrade
might screw your setup by overwriting your startup scripts.

Between a rock and a hard place you have to choose one.

As for version, use 9.2.3, it's a "release version" and should be
the least risky one. Scripting your installation will enable
you to easily go to 9.2.4 ( or 9.3) whenever that need arises.

You can keep your config-file ans zone-data, there is upwards
compatibility.

<opinion>
Replacing redhat might give you an advantage, openbsd is a stable
and secure platform for these kind of "appliances".
</opinion>

--
Peter Håkanson