Can't load our webpage from the LAN

phn at icke-reklam.ipsec.nu phn at icke-reklam.ipsec.nu
Tue May 4 18:04:56 UTC 2004

Aden <aden at madsurf.co.uk> wrote:
> Hi,

> We have recently change and moved our website to a new host. Everyone
> can access our new webpage perfectly outside of the building. However,
> when we try to load www.ourdomain.co.uk internally we seem to get page
> cannot be displayed. We can access all other pages.

> Details of out network:

> - We are running Windows Server 2000 with Exchange server.
> - Using a private IP address of 10.0.0.*
> - Our local domain name is the same as our webpage. e.g.
> ourdomain.co.uk
> - The server gateway points to a ISDN router
> - DNS forwarding rules are set to external dns addresses

> A couple of other points:

> - On some workstations the gateway has been set manually and the dns
> entrys point the server and an external address. This often works

> - However, if we copy the exact settings to another workstation it
> doesn't work.

> - If we set the both DNS addresses manually on a workstation to an
> external address it works fine. However, it doesn't seem to pick up
> changes. e.g. a spelling correction on the site. Although searching
> via google and loading it picks up the changes.

> Really hope that there someone out there that can help!

> Cheers

> Aden

Chapter 11 of "DNS and BIND, 4th Edition" from o'reilly covers this

This book is regarded as "the reference" for dns.

And you are lucky, this chapter is the one o'reilly present
"on the web" : http://www.oreilly.com/catalog/dns4/chapter/ch11.html

Your problem is not unique, it demands some design issues to be
resolved and enforced.

--
Peter Håkanson