Reverse DNS only works internally

Barry Margolin barmar at alum.mit.edu
Tue May 4 21:21:00 UTC 2004

In article <c78s9b$1fs1$1 at sf1.isc.org>,
 "Michael Barber" <mikeb at comcity.com> wrote:

> Is there a glue record for ip address ranges at the root servers or do you
> have to do something to get reverse dns authority over a certain IP address
> range from your ISP?
>
> Our reverse dns for 207.168.174.135 works fine internally to
> mail.comcity.com but when I got to dnsstuff.com it doesn't see the reverse.

Your ISP has to delegate reverse DNS to you.

Also, since you were not assigned the whole 207.168.174/24 address
block, you shouldn't configure your server as authoritative for the
entire 174.168.207.in-addr.arpa zone.  You'll need to use RFC 2317 style
reverse delegation since you only have a /26 block.

Barry Margolin, barmar at alum.mit.edu
Arlington, MA