Forward lookup zone

Jeff Stevens jstevens at vnet.ibm.com
Mon May 10 22:06:25 UTC 2004

I have a customer that appears to have a Windows AD do DDNS inserts into
a forward lookup zone to show IP dotted decimal information, eg like below:

$ORIGIN 1.1.147.wheatland.COM.
10	900	IN	A	10.1.1.147	;Cl=2
$ORIGIN 1.1.81.wheatland.COM.
10	900	IN	A	10.1.1.81	;Cl=2

These 1.1.147 subdomains are getting inserted by Windows AD, so I first
thought this was a misconfigured AD.  However, I've seen my home ISP in
NY do tricks like this, you ping an IP address and you get something
like 1.2.3.4.roc.roadrunner.com.  So, maybe this is what the AD is
doing?  Is there a proper description of this technique?

Thanks...
--
Jeffrey Stevens