Main DNS server is unable to resolve its own domain

Edward W. Ray support at mmicman.com
Tue May 11 19:34:47 UTC 2004

 I am running BIND 9.2.3 on an OpenBSD 3.4 machine.  My apologies for not
posting this to bind9-users; I am unable to subscribe to that newsgroup.

The OpenBSD 3.4 machine running BIND 9.2.3 is the primary nameserver for my
domain.  The records are correct and my other authoritative nameservers can
access these zone records for updating.

The OpenBSD 3.4 machine running BIND 9.2.3 can resolve names
non-authoritatively (i.e. anything outside my domain).  When I try to
resolve addresses in my own domain, I get the following error:

bash-2.05b# nslookup www.xxxxx.com

Server:         127.0.0.1
Address:        127.0.0.1#53

** server can't find www.xxxxx.com: SERVFAIL

bash-2.05b# nslookup www.isc.org

Server:         127.0.0.1
Address:        127.0.0.1#53

Non-authoritative answer:
Name:   www.isc.org
Address: 204.152.184.88

I do not know how or why this is occurring, or how to correct it.

Any help would appreciated.

Regards,

Edward W. Ray