restarting BIND 8

Barry Margolin barmar at alum.mit.edu
Thu May 13 00:38:13 UTC 2004

In article <c7u7d8$1qi1$1 at sf1.isc.org>, Jim Reid <jim at rfc1035.com>
wrote:

>     Jeff> If a restart is done, are there any options in named.conf
>     Jeff> that do not get picked up as part of the restart (say,
>     Jeff> forward first to forward only changes)?
>
> No. Of course not. What could possibly give you the idea that it might
> be anything but that? Think about this. Why would the authors of BIND
> go out of their way to make the server behave differently by
> selectively ignoring parts of the conf file on a restart? The man page
> for ndc -- BTW you should be using rndc and BIND9 -- says that a new
> process is created on a restart. When the server is restarted, the
> current named process gets terminated and a new one is created. The
> new named process reads named.conf and does what that tells it to do.

Note, however, that if any command-line arguments were given to the
original named process, they won't be given to the new one.

Rather than "ndc restart", I recommend using "ndc exec".  This causes
the named process to exec itself with the original argv[] array, so it's
restarted in the same way the original process was.

Barry Margolin, barmar at alum.mit.edu
Arlington, MA