child domians dif ip

Barry Margolin barmar at alum.mit.edu
Fri May 14 00:21:39 UTC 2004

In article <c8131d$1hpn$1 at sf1.isc.org>,
 RYAN vAN GINNEKEN <rmvg at shaw.ca> wrote:

> Just a little confused as how to set up a child domian on a seperate ip
> address.  Example I have the domian computerking.ca with a name server
> running on it this machine resides at ip 68.xx.xx.xx.  Now i have setup
> another  machine accross town and want it to be
> shoemasters.computerking.ca it also has bind running and is all setup to
> be shoemasters.computerking.ca but for some reason it is not working.
> What am i missing is it a record somewhere or is it in my named.conf
> file  have included my conf files please help.

In the computerking.ca zone, you need delegation and glue records for
the subdomain:

shoemasters IN NS shoemasters
shoemasters IN A  <address of shoemasters>

The glue record is only needed when the nameserver for the subdomain is
also a name in the subdomain.

BTW, you should have a slave server for the subdomain.

Barry Margolin, barmar at alum.mit.edu
Arlington, MA