request drops in BIND?

KyoungSoo Park kyoungso at cs.princeton.edu
Fri May 14 13:45:38 UTC 2004

I believe BIND can handle thousands of requests per second(I think I saw
someone claims that
BIND can handle more than ten thosands of requests per second). I
believe so.

But the problem here is, "what level of bulk requests that BIND starts
to not respond to queries either because of UDP
stack overflow or BIND's mistake?"
If BIND can achieve thousands of requests per second under tens of
thousands of requests per second,
can we say it's doing well? No response ultimately leads to
retransmission of queries, which wastes the Internet resources.
(Please take a look at [Jung01], [Danzig92] about DNS performance.)

Actually I tested sending 10000 requests/second with an equal interval.
(1 request/100 us).
BIND could handle about 2000 requests/second, while my UDP PING answered
all perfectly.
All the test I did is to do just one local domain name lookup.

Thanks,
KyoungSoo

P.S. I still believe BIND should increase the UDP buffer size for port 53.
       That will ease the situation a lot.