named-checkconf: possible mistake in parsing logging statement

Ladislav Vobr lvobr at ies.etisalat.ae
Sat May 15 05:43:59 UTC 2004

I have seen some posts about the ndc/rndc reload. I have come across the
problem not exactly with the rndc reload, but with the named-checkconf
utility which is suppose to clear some kind of errors from the named.conf.

What I have found is that the if you have misspelled channel name in the
category definition named-checkconf will not inform about it at all, but
named will refuse to start. I am not saying it should or it shouldn't,
just informing that running named-checkconf is not enough to clear the
even some syntax error. ndc/rndc reload will refuse to reload but keeps
the current named running.

This happen to me, I was running some scripts to reload the named and I
run named-checkconf before it to ensure the consistency, and because of
this it didn't reload, which is not the worse but then I have an
emergency and needed to stop and start without much time to troubleshoot
seemingly working named.conf file and of course it refused to start
(which resulted in some very stressfull :-) troubleshooting) but finally
it was discovered) :-)

example

logging {

         channel mydefault {
                 file "/logs/default.log" versions 20 size 20m;
                 print-time yes;
         };

        category default { mydefaulttttt; };
}

if you mispelled mydefaulttttttt named-checkconf will not recongnize it.

Ladislav