failure with empty hints file on forward first

phn at icke-reklam.ipsec.nu phn at icke-reklam.ipsec.nu
Mon May 17 21:58:23 UTC 2004

Barry Margolin <barmar at alum.mit.edu> wrote:
> In article <c8avl9$244m$1 at sf1.isc.org>,
>  "William Stacey" <staceyw at mvps.org> wrote:

>> Don't they "bake" in hints that are used if config file empty or not
>> supplied?

> Nope.  The distribution comes with a valid hints file, and that's the
> "baked in" defaults.

Bind 9 has ( 9.2.3 ) ./lib/dns/rootns.c :
containg :
static char root_ns[] =
";\n"
"; Internet Root Nameservers\n"
";\n"
"; Thu Sep 23 17:57:37 PDT 1999\n"
";\n"
"$TTL 518400\n"
".                       518400  IN      NS      A.ROOT-SERVERS.NET.\n"
".                       518400  IN      NS      B.ROOT-SERVERS.NET.\n"
".                       518400  IN      NS      C.ROOT-SERVERS.NET.\n"
".                       518400  IN      NS      D.ROOT-SERVERS.NET.\n"
".                       518400  IN      NS      E.ROOT-SERVERS.NET.\n"
".                       518400  IN      NS      F.ROOT-SERVERS.NET.\n"
".                       518400  IN      NS      G.ROOT-SERVERS.NET.\n"
".                       518400  IN      NS      H.ROOT-SERVERS.NET.\n"

<rest snipped>

The binary also contains these addresses ...

My guess is that bind will function at least partially even with a broken
config.

>> --
>> William Stacey
>>
>> "Barry Margolin" <barmar at alum.mit.edu> wrote in message
>> news:c809hp$n60$1 at sf1.isc.org...

>> > When "forward first" is used, it has to be prepared to use the root
>> > servers if the forwarders don't answer.  So it needs the hints.
>> >
>> > Older releases of BIND even required the hints when "forward only" was
>> > used, but this was eventually fixed.
>> >
>> > --
>> > Barry Margolin, barmar at alum.mit.edu
>> > Arlington, MA
>> > *** PLEASE post questions in newsgroups, not directly to me ***
>> >

> --
> Barry Margolin, barmar at alum.mit.edu
> Arlington, MA

Peter Håkanson