BIND BOTTLENECK: internall 90 seconds query timeout & recursive-clients limit

Jim Reid jim at rfc1035.com
Tue May 18 08:37:58 UTC 2004

    Ladislav> I don't expect many this time, since as I have noticed isc
    Ladislav> support became commercial, and post by person directly
    Ladislav> from isc team in this 'still free mailing list' has
    Ladislav> become so rare since that time....

Well what would you prefer Mark Andrews to do, answer questions here
when others are already answering them or work on the BIND code? Which
of these two things is the more important? BTW, ISC has been offering
commercial support for some time now and there has been no change to
the frequency of ISC postings here since then. There are probably
other reasons why Mark has been quieter than usual recently. For
example, there has recently been a bunch of new BIND releases and
there's a BIND9.3 in beta right now.....

    Ladislav> will this list be considered now for "general help desk
    Ladislav> questions" ?

You can consider this list to be whatever you like. The guarantees on
any information and response times in the list are worth what you're
paying for them. If you have a mission-critical DNS infrastructure --
and who doesn't? -- perhaps you should have a support contract that
reflects this instead of relying on the goodwill of the BIND user
mailing lists?

    Ladislav> I personally think bind is great product and isc.org
    Ladislav> great company, but feeling sad from the selective
    Ladislav> approach perhaps isc is going to acquire now, about what
    Ladislav> should be answered for free and what is going to be "3rd
    Ladislav> line support" and people in the mailing list will never
    Ladislav> see it, correct me if I am wrong

ISC is not a commercial software company. It gives its software away
for free. ISC even permits others to build commercial products on top
of it for free. ISC relies on donations to pay its staff, provide
computers and bandwidth for downloads, get electricity in its offices,
etc, etc. The programmers who bring us BIND have families to support
and bills to pay. Offering commercial support is (a) a service many
people want to buy; (b) a way of diversifying and extending ISC's
funding base. Both of these have to be Very Good Things.

Managements like to know all their hardware and software is covered by
support contracts, if only for the peace of mind. Anyone who can pay
for a BIND support contract should do that. Even if they don't really
need the support. What they'd then be doing is helping to sustain BIND
development by funding ISC. That's in everyone's best interests.