RoundRobin question

Kevin Darcy kcd at daimlerchrysler.com
Wed May 19 19:14:32 UTC 2004

William Stacey wrote:

>>but underneath each name is 0 or more RRsets, and then even within an
>>

>Wanted to ask this question before as I saw it in the rfc.  When/how would a
>0 length node be valid or needed?
>TIA

There is such a thing as an "empty non-terminal node". E.g. if
big.hairy.ape.com owns records, but hairy.ape.com does not, then
hairy.ape.com would be considered an empty non-terminal node. The reason
the nameserver needs to keep track of empty non-terminals is because
those names actually _do_ exist, but don't happen to own any records.
Queries for such a name would therefore return NODATA (a pseudo-RCODE
consisting of a NOERROR RCODE and 0 answers) instead of NXDOMAIN.