alias_ip

Kevin Darcy kcd at daimlerchrysler.com
Thu May 20 00:21:42 UTC 2004

Jeff wrote:

>im trying to upgrade my hp-ux box dns from 4.97 to 9.2.
>im using the alias_ip directive in my named.boot file.
>
>Is the "alias_ip" directive of BIND 4.9.7's named.boot file
>a valid directive if used in BIND 9.2's named.conf file?
>
>does anyone have any refernces they could point me to
>concerning this topic?

What on earth is "alias_ip"? Some sort of HP-UXism? I find no reference
to it in my memory cells (granted it's been a l-o-o-o-o-o-ng time since
I've run BIND 4) nor in the index of the _DNS_and_BIND_ O'Reilly book,
widely considered the "bible" on the subject, and written by Cricket
Liu, a former HP guy (thus implying that if it is a HP-UXism, it's one
of relatively-recent vintage). Needless to say, it's not a valid
directive in standard versions of either BIND 8 or BIND 9.

What does "alias_ip" do anyway? Maybe it's been superceded by
non-proprietary features in modern versions of BIND.